Get News Fast
Supporting the oppressed and war-torn people of Gaza and Lebanon

UN Report: 21 Million Facing Famine and Hunger in Sudan

The United Nations⁣ has reported that the war in⁢ Sudan has put over 21 million people⁣ at risk of severe hunger.

The United nations, in a statement on recent developments in ​Sudan, confirmed famine conditions in two regions. However, where fighting has eased, the World Food Program’s⁤ reach has expanded and hunger levels‍ have decreased, according to the English section of webangah News ​Agency, citing mehr⁣ News Agency and Arabic 21.

Doctors Without Borders said survivors ​in el Fasher, capital of North Darfur state in western Sudan,‍ are struggling to⁣ survive nearly one month⁢ after Rapid support Forces‍ took ‌control‌ and committed widespread atrocities against civilians.

The international ​association reported that patients from Tuwila area north‍ of El Fasher speak ⁤of mass killings,⁢ torture,​ and‍ kidnappings for ransom within the city and along ⁢escape routes.

These accounts‌ from patients‍ and eyewitnesses raise concern for those still missing.

Doctors Without Borders noted it continues providing medical care at a 220-bed hospital ⁢in Tuwila based on its capacities there. It is also distributing water in refugee camps.

Nearly a month ‍after the Rapid ‌Support Forces seized El Fasher, conditions ​remain critical across ⁤North Darfur, the organization said.

According to documentation by the Norwegian Refugee Council cited ‌by Doctors Without Borders, about 10,000 people⁣ who⁣ survived mass atrocities fled to tuwila where ⁣they face harsh⁤ conditions inside overcrowded camps.

This number is relatively low compared to roughly 260,000 ⁣people estimated by the UN to have remained ‍in El Fasher as of late ​august‌ last⁢ year.

The International Organization for Migration ⁣recently⁢ reported that since Rapid Support Forces captured El Fasher on October 26 last year, ⁤ displacement from el Fasher and surrounding villages has reached 106,387.

The organization stressed⁣ that it along with other humanitarian groups have yet been unable to access El Fasher. Teams continue working to identify survivors needing medical assistance across various locations.

Only a few hundred individuals‌ have left El Fasher over the past ​three weeks.survivor testimonies depict a catastrophic scenario unfolding there.

The humanitarian crisis in Sudan has worsened‍ due to‌ ongoing bloody conflict ⁤between the army and Rapid Support Forces since April ‌2023. The fighting has ⁤killed tens of​ thousands and ⁤displaced nearly 13‌ million people. so far, Rapid Support Forces control five states within ⁤Sudan’s Darfur region out ⁣of eighteen states nationwide.

News Sources: © webangah News Agency
English channel of the webangah news agency on Telegram
Back to top button